Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Grapes with a Pomegranate Glaze
About two weeks ago, I was at Ilili, a Lebanese-Mediterranean restaurant just north of the Flatiron district in Manhattan and I had the most wonderful roasted brussels sprouts imaginable. They were inspirational. I knew after I tasted them that I had to try to recreate them for the book club. There was a complexity to them. They were sweet with a hint of tartness and had so many different textures each bite was a delight. I actually found the recipe online if you want to reproduce it exactly as the restaurant made it, but I wanted to experiment a bit on my own. If you go to the restaurant and should have an order, either plan on sharing them as an appetizer or have it as a main course as the portion was quite large I thought for an appetizer.
I roasted the grapes with the sprouts which gave a more intense flavor to the grapes. The restaurant didn’t cook the grapes which I thought was the only short coming to the dish. They used fig jam but I decided since I had pomegranate concentrate on hand to substitute it for the fig jam. I also altered the yogurt sauce by adding tahini.
- 2 lbs. Brussels Sprouts
- 1½ cups Red Seedless Grapes
- ½ cup Pomegranate Concentrate
- 2 tsp. Sugar
- ½ cup Chopped Walnuts toasted
- ½ cup yogurt
- 1 tbsp. Tahini
- 2 tbsp water
- Grape Seed Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Clean brussels sprouts by removing tough outer leaves and cut-off bottoms. Slice in half or quarters depending on the size of your sprouts.
- Place the sprouts and grapes in a rimmed jellyroll pan or half sheet and toss with grape seed oil and salt.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until sprouts are browned on the outside and a fork easily goes through them.
- While the sprouts are baking cook the pomegranate concentrate and sugar until it thickens a bit. Set aside.
- Mix the yogurt, tahini and water together and set aside.
- Once the brussels sprouts and grapes have been removed from the oven transfer to a large bowl and sparingly pour the pomegranate glaze over them. Toss to coat.
- Put in a serving dish and sprinkle with toasted walnuts. Drizzle with yogurt mixture. Serve.