Indian Spiced Roasted Cauliflower
Roasted Cauliflower is one of my favorite vegetable. So yummy, easy to fix and good for you. I am addicted to the cauliflower pizza at the Sullivan Street Bakery right down the street from my home. A regular route for walking the dog is past the bakery so I can have a slice for breakfast. Halley patiently sits tied to their bench outside while I have my coffee and a slice. And then we’re off to the dog runner, a morning ritual when I don’t have to go into the office.
Ever since I’ve enjoyed this wonderful authentic Italian pizza, I’ve tried to think of other ways to roast cauliflower that would spice it up. So I have experimented with different spices in different portions and think I have found a good mixture.
The spices in the ratio to cauliflower used in the recipe below add a mild flavor to the cauliflower without overpowering it and still allow the cauliflower’s sweetness to come through.
I cut my cauliflower into bite size pieces of about a half an inch so they are well covered with the mixture and still roast pretty quickly.
Let me know what you think of the recipe. How you might have changed it or other ways you roast cauliflower.
- 1½ tsp Turmeric
- ½ tsp Cumin
- ½ tsp Coriander
- ¼ tsp Cardamom
- ¼ tsp Red Pepper Flakes or to taste
- 2 tbsp Bread Crumbs
- ½ tsp toasted Cumin Seeds
- Generous amount of Grape Seed Oil
- 1½ heads of Cauliflower florets and some of the stem cut into bite size pieces
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl mix all the spices and bread crumbs except the cumin seeds. Set aside
- Place cut cauliflower on a rimmed baking sheet. You probably will need to use two depending on their size and the size of your oven. Generously coat the cauliflower with grape seed oil, especially because the spices have a tendency to be dry on the cauliflower you need to be generous with the oil.
- Sprinkle the spice mixture over the cauliflower and toss well to evenly coat.
- Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes. Stirring once after about 10 minutes.
- While cauliflower is roasting toast the cumin seeds in a small heavy skillet.
- When done place roasted cauliflower on a serving dish and sprinkle with cumin seeds.
- Serve warm